Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Inspiration of the 23rd Psalm

It’s almost upon us … and it seems so long in the planning.

It must be three years and more since we had a Deacons day over in Warden Hill.  We dreamed dreams and shared visions for the life of our church.

One of the many visions we shared was to build up a team ministry to help lead the life of the church here at Highbury.

It was the start of a process that resulted in us a year ago re-shaping the life of the church here at Highbury.   We moved to a smaller Diaconate and introduced a shared Ministry Leadership Team.

The idea was that we would let that Ministry Leadership team bed in with a new way of doing things and then arrange for Felicity and me to have a sabbatical.

Now, the moment has arrived.

From 1st May Felicity and I will be on sabbatical.  That means that we won’t be on call as we usually are, and we won’t be taking part in the day to day life of the church from now through until 1st September.  We have a number of projects we are planning to pursue which we will share on our return.

Now is the moment when our new Ministry Leadership team comes into its own.

The Deacons arranged for me to have what they called an ‘exit interview’ – it was great to share that on Wednesday evening.  I expressed my hopes and fears for the sabbatical on a personal level … and my hopes and fears for the church.

Let’s make these four months a really purposeful time in the life of the church.   Things will be happening from the lunches to the community café, from the film club to Sunday Specials – it’s really important to support them!  Explore is going to do a new course put together by Philip Yancey, an inspiring author.  It goes to the heart of the Christian faith – What’s so amazing about grace?  Well worth coming … but also the kind of thing that we can invite others too.

In our Sunday services we are looking forward to welcoming people who we hope will get us thinking about the life of our church and the faith we share.

One of the priorities we have set ourselves as a church is to grow in our mis-sion and outreach.  As this sabbatical period begins that’s what we are going to focus on.  Shirley has invited those who are joining us for our Sunday services to share with us on what it takes to be a mission-focused church – I am going to share a little more about that next Sunday.

In July and August we are asking those who take our services on a Sunday to share with us stories from the Bible, from history and from their own lives that have been an inspiration to them.  So let Helen Roberts have any stories you might have of people who have inspired you so that we can tell them on the Notice sheet!  And Sue more stories for Highbury News!

We start by welcoming back Mark and Denise Evans.  It’s five years since a crowd of us shared in their wedding.  Mark was one of our youth leaders at Hy-Tec and served the church as a Deacon before going on to train for the ministry at Mansfield College, Oxford.  Having now been in Newport, Isle of Wight for three years Mark and Denise will be sharing the stories of people who have been an inspiration to them.  Vince Carrington has been Minister of our church in Taunton for many years where he has also played a big role in Christian mission in the town, not least through Street Pastors.  Janet Wootton is the Congregational Federation’s Director of Studies and has a passion for her faith which is infectious.   Robert Pestell is a good friend of Highbury’s and now works as chaplain at the Sue Ryder Home in Leckhampton.  Dee Brierley Jones will also be joining us this month too.

In August once again we have invited those joining us to share their stories of people who have inspired them.  Jason Boyd is Minister of our Witney church: he has recently completed a PhD focusing on preaching and the impact it has on the local church.  Graham Adams is also joining us for the day at the end of the month.  After a ministry at Lees Street in Manchester Graham has moved on to become lecturer at Northern College, the college we have links with in Manchester.  As we welcome Graham and Sheryl we will be thinking of Graham’s parents, Diana and Dick.

As we prepare for the Autumn and its new challenges Karen Haden will be inviting us to grow in our faith and discipleship as she shares with Shirley Fiddimore.  We will be welcoming our own Martin Evans and Dee Brierley Jones and also extending a welcome to Andrew Cox from the Hester’s Way Baptist church.   Judi Holloway from Witney will also be joining us at the end of the month when we shall also be extending a warm welcome to Michael Garland, vicar of St Mary’s church, Charlton Kings.  Michael is very involved along with our own Janet Wootton in the Hymn Society.

With all sorts of things going on through the summer, my hope and prayer is that it can be a time when as a church family we can go from strength to strength.

If you need help or have to contact someone from church at any time, then please contact one of our Ministry leadership team, one of the Deacons or one of our Church officers - they will be pleased to be able to help.

For this Sunday and next I felt I wanted to share two passages: next Sunday one that underpins my vision for a mission focused church and today one that is my inspiration.

The first passage is the 23rd Psalm.

I make no bones about it – the 23rd Psalm in the Authorised version – I think it’s one of those wonderful passages – it’s one to commit to memory.

I think of the gentleness and the grandeur of God, for the Lord God almighty is my shepherd

I think of Jesus the good shepherd who seeks the lost and who knows every one of his flock

The Lord Jesus Christ is my shepherd.

The LORD is my shepherd;
     I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down
     in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
he leadeth me
     in the paths of righteousness
     for his name's sake.

There’s the gentleness of Jesus as he cares for us in those green pastures.  There’s the wisdom of Jesus as he leads u in the paths of righteousness, the paths of justice.  And it is so very personal – The Lord is my shepherd, he maketh me, he leadeth me, he restoeth my soul, he leadeth me.

There is something so very wonderful and personal in the faith that is ours.

I love the words of this translation for there is the rhythm of the heart beat that is the very essence of the  English language in these words – it’s captured brilliantly.  The Authorised Version influenced by Tyndale and Shakespeare weigh words and give them weight.

So may single syllable words – and the longer words have additional weight.  We move towards them.

Yea, though I walk through the valley
     of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil:
for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

That goes to the heart of my faith – it’s not about escaping the difficult things, the pain, the sadness, it’s discovering in God’s presence, in the presence of Chrsit with us strength for the journey through the valley.

Thou preparest a table before me
in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy
     shall follow me
all the days of my life
     and I will dwell
in the house of the LORD for ever.

Do you notice something there?

IT breaks the rules of grammar.

I shall, you will – is the normal rule.

But the best writers know when to break the rule.

And this is one of those moments

When you say he shall – it’s particularly emphatic.  He shall do that means he really, really will do it!  No doubts!

When you say I will – that’s particularly emphatic.    I really, really, shall do that – no doubts.

Surely goodness and mercy
     shall follow me
all the days of my life
     and I will dwell
in the house of the LORD for ever

Let’s read the words of the Psalm together – one of the lovely things Angela Ashwin does in her prayer book Woven into Prayer is to add at the end of the Psalm that is read a prayer based on the Psalm.  We will read her prayer for this Easter season after the Psalm.

Hymn 729 – The Lord’s my shepherd

There’s a hidden strand in this Psalm that also means the world to me.

In the Old Testament when there is talk of shepherds the thought is of the king and the ruler.   So much so that when everything collapses and the people of Israel are carted off into exile Ezekiel the prophet pores over all that has happened in the history of the people’s kings and he comes to the conclusion they have been bad shepherds. 
Mortal, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel: prophesy, and say to them—to the shepherds: Thus says the Lord God: Ah, you shepherds of Israel who have been feeding yourselves! Should not shepherds feed the sheep? 3You eat the fat, you clothe yourselves with the wool, you slaughter the fatlings; but you do not feed the sheep. 4You have not strengthened the weak, you have not healed the sick, you have not bound up the injured, you have not brought back the strayed, you have not sought the lost, but with force and harshness you have ruled them.

What an indictment – Ezekiel has a vision of God as the Good Shepherd

Ezekiel 34:11-16

For thus says the Lord God: I myself will search for my sheep, and will seek them out. 12As shepherds seek out their flocks when they are among their scattered sheep, so I will seek out my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places to which they have been scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness. 13I will bring them out from the peoples and gather them from the countries, and will bring them into their own land; and I will feed them on the mountains of Israel, by the watercourses, and in all the inhabited parts of the land. 14I will feed them with good pasture, and the mountain heights of Israel shall be their pasture; there they shall lie down in good grazing land, and they shall feed on rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. 15I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep, and I will make them lie down, says the Lord God. 16I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak, but the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them with justice.

This is what finds its fulfilment in Jesus the Good Shepherd

He seeks the lost, brings back the strayed, binds up the injured, strengthens the weak – he is stern in his woes to the rich, the fat and the strong.

He feeds his people with justice.

That’s there in this psalm too.

The 23rd Psalm

The LORD is my shepherd king

he leadeth me
     in the paths of righteousness and justice
     for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley
     of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil:
for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

That valley is not just the valley of sad bereavement – it’s also the valley of awfulness that happens in the face of those who are hell bent to destroy faith, not least Christian faith.

There is a real sense of defiance in the words

Thou preparest a table before me
in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.

Jesus has brought in the kingdom of God, we face the powers of darkness – but sure in the knowledge that God’s victory is assured.

Our task is also to  seek the lost, and I back the strayed, and bind up the injured, and strengthen the weak, - maybe to speak truth to power against those who abuse power.  Above all our commitment is to feed them with justice.  What was it the Samaritan showed to the man who fell among thieves … but mercy.

Surely goodness and mercy
     shall follow me
all the days of my life
     and I will dwell

in the house of the LORD for ever.

No comments:

So much to pass on at Highbury

If you give a little love you can get a little love of your own

A blessing shared at Highbury

Now and the Future at Highbury

Dreaming Dreams Sharing Visions at Highbury

Dreaming Dreams Sharing Visions

Darkness into Light